Botanic Gardens

The Botanic Gardens, Churchtown

THE BOTANIC GARDENS were originally opened in November 1874 by the Southport and Churchtown Botanic Gardens Company as a place with an almost endless variety of attractions, admission 4d.

The Botanic Gardens Lake was formed from part of what was the Otter Pool or The Pool. This was a stream that flowed from Blowick through Meols Hall out to the Ribble Estuary. The monks who lived nearby fished for eels in this stream.

The Gardens closed in 1932 but were saved from being sold for housing by the Southport Corporation. They were reopened on Saturday 28th August 1937 as The Botanic Gardens and King George Playing Fields. Although the Fernery still remains the magnificent Conservatory was demolished. The outline of the remains can still be seen in front of the Fernery and are now laid out as a rose garden.

The Botanic Gardens Museum

From 1876 until its closure by Sefton Council in 2011, the Botanic Gardens included Southports only museum. Much of the content can now be seen at The Atkinson on Lord Street.

The building that houses the museum is currently unoccupied, except t=for the cafeteria.